Creative Tips for Reducing the Humidity in Your Cincinnati Home
Have you noticed that the air in your home can at times feel thick? Have you seen mold and mildew growing on surfaces inside? If so, you may have too much humidity. Keeping humidity in check makes your home feel cooler and will help block the growth of mold spores.
First Steps Toward Humidity Control
These steps will help you reduce the humidity indoors.
- Adequate ventilation is necessary for the removal of moisture in your home, especially in the bathrooms and kitchen. Does the moisture in your bathroom tend to linger long after a shower is finished? Consider adding an exhaust fan to the duct that goes outdoors, or one with more power if the one you have isn’t doing the job. Always use the exhaust fans when cooking, showering, or performing other moisture-producing tasks.
- Shorten Shower Time. The longer a shower, the more moisture is going to build up in the bathroom. Try shortening the length of your shower and notice less humidity when you’re done.
- Cover House Plant Soil. If you have a lot of house plants, consider covering the soil around them with a layer of rocks. This will keep the moisture in the soil instead of in your home’s air.
- Try Kitty Litter or Calcium Chloride. Placing bowls of kitty litter or calcium chloride around your home can help to pull moisture out of the air and into the bowl. Be sure to change the contents of the bowl every couple of weeks.
These small steps aren’t always enough; consider investing in a whole-home dehumidifier. A whole-home dehumidifier provides protection for your whole home against unwanted moisture. Take some of the burden off the air conditioner and keep contaminants out of the air by having a unit professionally installed that meets the moisture control needs of your home. Call Nelson Comfort of Cincinnati; our NATE-certified technicians will work with you to determine which unit is right for your home.
About The Author
Dan Detmer is the owner of Nelson Comfort. Dan was born into the heating and cooling industry, coming from a family of well respected HVAC contractors in Dayton, Ohio. After working in the family business, Dan decided to work for a local HVAC wholesale business helping local contractors grow their business. When he felt his heart moving him back into the residential and light commercial business, Dan joined the Mortimer Heating & Cooling team in Cincinnati, where he had called home and become part of the community for several years. After a short period of time Dan purchased the company and created what is today, Nelson Comfort. Today he operates a company based on integrity, honesty, and stellar customer service. If you have any questions feel free to tweet (at sign) NelsonComfort and we will get right back with you!
Why Choose Nelson Comfort?
Industry-Leading Expertise Backed by a Customer-First Mindset
We believe that how we treat our customers makes all the difference. When you call on our friendly professionals for world-class heating, cooling, or indoor air quality services, you will be treated with the utmost respect. You can always count on:
- Superior customer service.
- Safety and comfort in your home.
- Industry-leading products
- Knowledgeable technicians
- Clear and transparent pricing
- 100% satisfaction guarantee on all work
- 24/7 emergency service