Warmer weather is upon us, and it’s time to check your programmable thermostat settings for summer efficiency! Many Cincinnati homes are equipped with programmable thermostat models – if you’re still using a basic manual thermostat, this affordable upgrade can really pay for itself!
Programmable Thermostat Types
When used correctly, a programmable thermostat can help you save around $180 on your annual energy costs, according to ENERGY STAR. There are many different models available with ranging aesthetic styles and features, but with three basic programming schedules:
- A 7-day programmable thermostat allows you to set unique temperature profiles for every day of the week.
- A 5+2 day programmable thermostat handles one set of temperatures for weekdays, and another for weekends.
- A 5-1-1 day programmable thermostat allows you to set temperatures for weekdays, and unique temperature profiles for both Saturday and Sunday.
Summer Programmable Thermostat Settings
Typically, a programmable thermostat allows you to make 4 temperature adjustments throughout the day. The most efficient way to time these are for when you go to bed, when you wake up, when you leave the house, and when you arrive home. Energy saving setbacks should be 10 to 15 degrees for maximum efficiency, and last 8 or more hours.
- At bedtime, set the thermostat as high as you can comfortably. Your body is less likely to notice temperature changes while you’re asleep, so you can cut back on air conditioning use comfortably.
- Before your day starts, set the thermostat to return to comfortable settings about 15 minutes before you plan to wake. In the summer, the most efficient setting for comfort and energy savings is 78 degrees.
- When your home will be empty, set the thermostat to rise 10 to 15 degrees. For periods of 8 hours and up, doing so can generate a savings of 1 percent per degree.
- Just 15 minutes before you arrive home is enough time to return your home to a comfortable temperature. Program the thermostat to adjust to your preferred settings prior to your arrival.
Nelson Comfort has the energy-saving solutions you need to lower your summer cooling bills. Upgrade to a new programmable thermostat today and set it for savings – contact us to learn more.