What To Do If Your Furnace Won’t Come On
When a heating system won’t turn on, Cincinnati homeowners may feel a sense of panic, especially if temperatures are low. While it may be your first instinct to call us for quick furnace repairs, there are a few steps you can try first in attempts to restore your system. If you find your furnace won’t turn on, try these troubleshooting measures.
My furnace isn’t coming on — what do I do?
Many times, when a furnace won’t turn on, there is a power supply or thermostat issue. If your furnace isn’t coming on, try these troubleshooting steps:
• Check your thermostat to verify that it has power; install fresh batteries and if your thermostat is hard-wired, make sure it has power via your home’s electrical panel. Reset breakers and replace blown fuses if necessary.
• Make sure your thermostat is set to heating mode.
• Your furnace will not kick on if the thermostat’s set temperature is higher than the room temperature; set your thermostat’s temperature a few degrees below the current room temperature to see if that will cause the system to turn on.
• Check your furnace; make sure the unit’s on/off switch hasn’t been accidentally switched to “off”.
• A flipped breaker or blown fuse could be restricting power to your heating system, causing it not to turn on. Check your home’s electrical panel to see if these issues are present; reset circuit breakers and replace blown fuses if necessary.
• If your furnace is gas powered, check your gas valve to make sure it hasn’t accidentally been turned off. If it has, turn the valve to “on”. The furnace’s gas valve should be located within six feet of the unit. You can also check other gas appliances throughout the home to determine if they have fuel; if not, there could be an issue with your home’s main supply lines.
If these tricks do not restore your Cincinnati heating system, contact Nelson Comfort for quick and reliable furnace and heating system repair. We offer 24/7 emergency service to tackle your heating problems anytime!
About The Author
Dan Detmer is the owner of Nelson Comfort. Dan was born into the heating and cooling industry, coming from a family of well respected HVAC contractors in Dayton, Ohio. After working in the family business, Dan decided to work for a local HVAC wholesale business helping local contractors grow their business. When he felt his heart moving him back into the residential and light commercial business, Dan joined the Mortimer Heating & Cooling team in Cincinnati, where he had called home and become part of the community for several years. After a short period of time Dan purchased the company and created what is today, Nelson Comfort. Today he operates a company based on integrity, honesty, and stellar customer service. If you have any questions feel free to tweet (at sign) NelsonComfort and we will get right back with you!
Why Choose Nelson Comfort?
Industry-Leading Expertise Backed by a Customer-First Mindset
We believe that how we treat our customers makes all the difference. When you call on our friendly professionals for world-class heating, cooling, or indoor air quality services, you will be treated with the utmost respect. You can always count on:
- Superior customer service.
- Safety and comfort in your home.
- Industry-leading products
- Knowledgeable technicians
- Clear and transparent pricing
- 100% satisfaction guarantee on all work
- 24/7 emergency service