Is Furnace Noise Turning You into a Scrooge This Holiday Season?
Is your furnace so loud you can’t hear the TV over it? Does the sound of a heating cycle starting make you want to pull your hair out? While heating noise can spell system trouble, sometimes it’s simply how the system behaves. If the heater in your Cincinnati home is just too loud, these solutions may help cut down the noise.
- Reposition the furnace. This is more of a cosmetic fix, but if the noise is really bothering you, it can improve your comfort. The heating process is naturally a bit noisy, and that sound will travel through your ductwork. If the furnace is located just beneath your return ducts, noise can travel through the return and into spaces in the home located off the main duct run.
If space is available, the furnace can be moved away from the return ducts to offset noise. Adding ductwork with 90 degree turns will stop a significant portion of sound from moving forward into living areas.
- Insulating ductwork. Insulating your ductwork is a beneficial project in that it can cut back the furnace noise you hear, and save you money on your heating bills this winter. In uninsulated ducts, furnace noise travels down a duct run, pinging along the bare metal ducts – this can make the noise echo and sound much louder, bothering you inside your living areas.
Insulating ducts can hamper noise, and keep the air inside ductwork warmer. This means warmer air will reach your living areas so you don’t need to turn up the heat, saving you money. Ductwork insulation should always be performed by an HVAC professional.
Nelson Comfort can help you determine and enact solutions which will cut down on furnace noise, making your home a much more enjoyable place. Call us today to talk about your heating troubles and to schedule a consultation.
About The Author
Dan Detmer is the owner of Nelson Comfort. Dan was born into the heating and cooling industry, coming from a family of well respected HVAC contractors in Dayton, Ohio. After working in the family business, Dan decided to work for a local HVAC wholesale business helping local contractors grow their business. When he felt his heart moving him back into the residential and light commercial business, Dan joined the Mortimer Heating & Cooling team in Cincinnati, where he had called home and become part of the community for several years. After a short period of time Dan purchased the company and created what is today, Nelson Comfort. Today he operates a company based on integrity, honesty, and stellar customer service. If you have any questions feel free to tweet (at sign) NelsonComfort and we will get right back with you!
Why Choose Nelson Comfort?
Industry-Leading Expertise Backed by a Customer-First Mindset
We believe that how we treat our customers makes all the difference. When you call on our friendly professionals for world-class heating, cooling, or indoor air quality services, you will be treated with the utmost respect. You can always count on:
- Superior customer service.
- Safety and comfort in your home.
- Industry-leading products
- Knowledgeable technicians
- Clear and transparent pricing
- 100% satisfaction guarantee on all work
- 24/7 emergency service